Definition: Recyclable, compost & waste material generated by the public at an event, festival, attraction, park, public lobby, picnic or dining area where sorting is not controlled by staff or vendors.
Public Waste Setup:
• Provide containers for all sorting streams
• Label containers for each sorting stream
• Place containers in groups to facilitate proper sorting
• If you must line containers, use transparent, clear plastic bags (empty contents for compost)
Note: Failure to provide adequate containers for sorting may result in surcharges.
• Assess contents of each bag
• If the sort is good (90% + sorted), place bag in the appropriate dumpster / container
• If content is mixed (10% + contamination), write PW and business / event name on each bag & place in waste dumpster / container
Public waste guidelines do not apply to staff and vendor-controlled areas; all material generated in those areas must be sorted.